Wednesday, 25 June 2008

About Shanghai

During this trip to Shanghai, certain things caught my attention..

1. Since 1st June, the shops have gone green. Bring your own bag or pay for the bag. A lot of people actually pays for the bags... additional 20 cents or more, depending on the size.
2. The MRT system is very efficient. Just outside the Hotel I stayed was the entrance to the MRT - Line 4. As the hotel is over at PuDong, needed to travel to PuXi most of the time. PuXi is where the happenings are. PuDong is a newly developed area and the famous HuaiHai Road and Nan Jing Road are over at PuXi.

What struck me most was the MRT card. I bought a stored value card and you could use it on MRT, Bus, and even Taxi. I actually paid my taxi fare using the MRT card! It was really great! They should have this here....

3. When I was shopping at 1 supermarket and about to leave the place, the security guard checked my receipt! Apparently, this is very common at a lot of places. I thought it was quite cool..... hahahahaha!

4. Most of the time when I pay using the RMB100 note, the cashier would check to see if it is genuine. There's too many fake notes floating in China and usually the cashier would check. So far so good.....

5. One night, I paid for dinner and Richard asked for receipt. I found out that there's lucky scratch on the RMB100 receipt. Every RMB100 receipt gets a scratch! This is really interesting! Maybe we should have this here......

6. Many places have discount at this moment. Instead of stating 50%, many place would state 'spend RMB300 and you will get back RMB150'!

7. On the 1st day of arrival, I was waiting to get on to the car and Oliver jokingly asked if I was going to drive! I was standing at the driver's side! In China, its left hand driver! Opposite with us! Also, we have to look left first and then right, before crossing!

8. Travelled across the Huangpu Bridge a couple of times. This is the bridge linking PuDong and PuXi. Very nice Bridge, looks very much like the Yokohama Rainbow Bridge. Of course, there's also underground tunnels linking both.

9. Travelling outside Shanghai would be fun. Place such as Zhou Zhuang, Zhujiajiao ...riverside towns are great to move around. Of course, there is also Suzhou, Hangzhou, Wuxi, Xitang and Wuzhen which are within 200km from Shanghai

10. XinTianDi is the place to hang out at night. Many pubs, restaurants, eateries, etc.. Ang Mohs hang out place! Great place to meet up with friends! Not cheap, though!

Will I go back to Shanghai again????? Yes, of course!!!!!

-------------- Sawbear Travel ----------------



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to read through your composing about Shanghai. You are really open your eyes and mind beyong Singapore.

A lot of good things in your writings, but we'd like to read some negative comments also. I am sure you have, so can continue to write Part IV and Part V ?

Anonymous said...

Your comments are good, but not complete, friend.

Besides those good words, I beleive you are having many negative feed backs, so we want to know them.

Please continue your Part 4 & 5 about Shanghai, of the bad things you had there.